Separation anxiety/phases of motherhood

It used to be so difficult to leave my son, Kevin, behind at home. Whenever I did he would cry and call out for me. It started the few times I tried to go out for a "mom's night out." The nights out were quite frankly a disaster anyway. I thought about Kevin the whole night, and was afraid to drink alcohol due to the fact that I was driving. That didn't sit well with people who do drink and they thought that I was judging them for drinking. Sigh. It got worse for Kevin and I when I went back to work. It broke my heart to hear him call out, "MOMMA," every time I left the house. And it continued while I worked at Giant and the bank. It was super stressful for both of us. I wished he would accept that I had to leave for a little while but then I'd be back.  I would try and get him to sleep before I had to go to work or before I went anywhere really. I know it wasn't the best idea but it helped.  He wasn't upset for the most part when he woke up and I wasn't there. Daddy or Pop Pop were home with him so he was pretty happy.

Lately he's been going out with daddy while I hang out at home with my littlest man. And I noticed he's not upset to leave me anymore. I cried when he left tonight. Its really bittersweet. He's growing up. When did that happen? And now I look at my three-week-old and see what's in store in three years and I cry all over again. Motherhood is filled with milestones and emotional upheavals. I thought I knew what I was getting into having a second child since I was already a mom. I had no clue. Its shifted my primary focus from Kevin to two children and I must admit I feel some guilt about that. So that's why I don't understand why Kevin being able to leave me without a big scene caused me to feel so emotional. I am rambling now. Sometimes it just feels good to get things out there. One of the reasons I love my network of momma friends is we can talk about being a mom and the daily struggles we have. No one should have to go through this alone. Sometimes just saying how we feel out loud is a big help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The anniversary of my first loss

"It is better to be feared than loved," except when it comes to motherhood.....

The importance of finding your momma tribe